If you were to look on your computer right now, would you be able to tell me in what folder your company’s logo is found? How about if I were to ask you for a high-resolution version of it, or better yet, a vector format?
I believe you should be able to answer these questions easily but often I run into people who JUST DON’T KNOW.
- They don’t know in which folder they saved it last
- They send me a downloaded version from their own website (that’s basically good for nothing)
- They tell me their graphic designer has the file but hasn’t responded back the email you sent him asking for it.
If only I had a nickel…, right?
Here is how to fix this problem; hire a graphic designer or a graphic design company (us, hopefully) and have them provide you with a folder that contains the following:
- High and low-resolution bitmap versions of your logo: These files will usually end in .jpg, .gif, .png, and .tiff. For example, “yourcompanyslogo.jpg” or “yourcompanyslogo.tiff.”
- Vector formats of your logo: These files will usually end with the extensions: .ai, .eps, .svg, or .pdf (ex. yourcompanyslogo.ai). These files are versatile, scalable and most probably the most important one you should have. They are great for whenever you are looking to embroider or screen print t-shirts.
- A Color Cheat Sheet of your company’s logo: Tell them to include the PMS, CMYK, and RGB values of your colors. A good designer will know what you’re talking about. This will especially come in handy when you decide to paint your office in your brand colors, or whenever you order new company t-shirts. Knowing your colors will eliminate guesstimating if “it looks sort of like it” or not.
Finally, make a copy of this folder on your desktop or a location within your computer that you won’t easily forget. Make sure to create extra copies of this folder on a thumb drive, external hard drive, the cloud, or burn it to a CD. Whatever works best.
Remember, having these files accessible will facilitate:
- Creating Word documents branded with your logo
- Powerpoint presentations for that important meeting next week
- Providing other companies with a version of your logo for that event you’re sponsoring, or
- Something simple like ordering more business cards online
Need a logo package? Let’s talk! Contact us to learn more about how we can help.